SFCCM Profile Banner
San Francisco Cable Car Museum Profile
San Francisco Cable Car Museum

@SFCCM

Followers
2K
Following
56K
Media
5K
Statuses
20K

The Cable Car Museum was established in 1974. It is operated by the Friends of the Cable Car Museum as a nonprofit educational facility. Free Admission!

San Francisco, CA
Joined August 2011
Don't wanna be here? Send us removal request.
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
4 hours
RT @streetcarmuseum: The HCRR 70th Anniversary book is here! If you haven't already bought a copy, they are available in our Gift Shop or o….
0
0
0
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
4 hours
RT @BAERA_WRM: During its service, Muni #1534, like other "Breda" cars, witnessed many thrilling and surprising changes in San Francisco.….
0
4
0
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
1 day
Sutter St cable dummy #46 & trailer #54 took up residence at the Cable Car Museum-after bouncing around town for awhile after the 1939 Fair-and is still there if you would like to pay her a visit! Looking good for being almost 150 years old!
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
1
2
17
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
1 day
The old Sutter St RR cable car had its "close up" during the Fair as well, appearing in the "Cavalcade of the Golden West" show!!
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
@thomashawk
Thomas Hawk
2 days
A rare Kodachrome color slide of the Golden Gate International Exposition in San Francisco from 1939.
Tweet media one
0
0
5
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
Market St Railway also found a use for its former Omnibus cars, which were modified for use as street Railway Post Offices, with a clerk, small office, & even a mail slot. (1896-1905) They delivered mail to post offices from the Ferry Bldg., via Hayes (A) & Sacramento (B) Sts.,
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
Tweet media three
Tweet media four
1
1
17
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
1893: Omnibus Cable RR Co. closed & MSCRY bought it in its merger of transit lines. By 1899 MSCRY had discontinued all of its erstwhile rival's cable lines. Some, like the Post St line, converted to streetcars. Surplus cable cars were used on MSCRY cable lines or electrified.
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
2
5
16
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
Omnibus RR constructed a modest cable powerhouse, at the same time as the 10th & Howard bldg., on the northwest corner of Oak & Broderick. In 1895, with elimination of the Oak and Ellis cable lines, it was modified for electric streetcars under MSRY ownership, ca. 1899.
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
0
3
5
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
Omnibus Cable RR Co. came late to the game in the City. Electric traction was improving & eclipsed cable systems by 1893. The Post St. line had a complicated wye crossing Market St. & 12 rope drops in one round trip, making for rapid cable wear. The Howard line closed in 1893.
Tweet media one
1
2
7
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
The company boasted an impressive powerhouse at 10th & Howard Sts. with finely crafted equipment. The large cars, with double clerestories, were said to have cost $2000 a piece, an unheard of amount at the time. Combined with low ridership, the cable co. didn't last long.
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
0
2
7
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
Omnibus RR Co.'s 5 lines paralleled lines of their competitor, Market St Cable Rwy. But they were on secondary streets & failed to attract sufficient patronage. Their lines were colored coded as well, like MSCRY. Howard car, bottom right, on East St.
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
0
2
5
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
Omnibus Cable RR Co. 5 lines reached far--two out into the Mission: 26th & Potrero & 24th and Howard, as well as Golden Gate Park by two lines: Ellis St, & Oak St. both converging at Stanyan St. A fifth line ran on Post St, from Market & Montgomery to 10th & Howard Sts.
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
Tweet media three
0
2
5
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
Omnibuses disappeared form downtown with the advent of horse cars in the 1860s. Omnibus RR evolved into a very successful horse car operation, serving every part of the City from the financial district to the Pacific Mail Steamship piers.
Tweet media one
0
2
10
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
Omnibus RR was an old transit co. having been formed in 1861 out of two Ominbus coach lines, the Yellow line which ran on Montgomery St & the Red line which operated in North Beach. They were smaller versions of the famous Stage Coach. Yellow line here at Clay & Kearny Sts.
Tweet media one
0
2
9
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
3 days
On August 26, 1889, Ominbus Cable RR Co. opened its first cable line on Howard, from East St.(now Embarcadero) to 24th & Howard Sts. Omnibus was the 2nd largest cable co. in the City, 11.3 miles, but one of the least successful, coming as it did at the end of the cable car era.
Tweet media one
0
1
4
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
4 days
RT @streetcarmuseum: 1923 TTC streetcar #2894 is on a roll at our museum near Rockwood, Ontario!
0
10
0
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
5 days
In 1890, due to growing demands on the MSCRY system, a new imposing brick Powerhouse replaced the old structure. Simultaneously with construction, a large carbarn & general repair shop was built adjacent to the turntable at the end of the Valencia Street cable line.
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
Tweet media three
0
4
17
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
6 days
RT @cam_lutece: And so the Boise Interurban Loop returns!. From 1912 to 1928, an interurban loop united Caldwell, Nampa, and miscellaneous….
0
3
0
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
6 days
RT @yakimatrolleys: Hey, thats us! We’re proud—and a little heartbroken. Being named to Washington’s Most Endangered Places list means the….
0
3
0
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
6 days
MSCRY's large cable cars provided a splash of color as they dominated Market St during their halcyon days. Each car was painted according to its route; at night colored glass roundels corresponding to car color were hung over the front head lamps.
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
Tweet media three
0
3
11
@SFCCM
San Francisco Cable Car Museum
6 days
MSCRY even named a location through its distinctive cable slot, which came to delineate the south side of Market as "South of the Slot"--or more likely heard then in an old SF accent as "Sout' o' da Slot"! That term persisted long after the cars vanished from Market St.
Tweet media one
Tweet media two
2
3
13